Hi

> On 3 Dec 2015, at 04:24, Bagrat Amirikian <amiri...@umn.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have downloaded and unpacked HCP500_Parcellation_Timeseries_Netmats data.
> My question is about group ICA spatial maps, specifically, about
> melodic_IC.dscalar.nii and melodic_IC_ftb.dlabel.nii files in the groupICA*
> subdirectories. There is a very short description of these files in the
> accompanying PDF file:
>
> melodic_IC.dscalar.nii                    ICA spatial maps (unthresholded
> Zstats); one "timepoint" per map.         Grayordinates
> melodic_IC_ftb.dlabel.nii             Summary "find the biggest" labels image
> for all ICA spatial maps.              Grayordinates
>
> I have loaded these files generated for 25-dimensional group-ICA to wb_view
> with corresponding Q1-Q6_R440_midthikness surface files for their inspection.
>
> 1.       I can appreciate Zstats maps provided for each IC by
> melodic_IC.dscalar.nii. How were exactly these Zstats computed? Are these
> regular Z-scores obtained by subtracting the vertex/voxel-wise mean and
> dividing by the standard deviation, or something else?

Not quite - these are "z-stats" as output by MELODIC ICA tool in FSL (see
Beckmann IEEE TMI 2004).  The simple answer is that the ICA maps are fed into a
mixture model to normalise the central/null part of the distribution across
voxels.
> 2.       When I click on the map and Information Window pops up, it shows two
> SCALAR values for the selected vertex. For example:
>
>  VERTEX CortexLeft: 28165
>     ANATOMICAL XYZ: -6.28827, 59.2204, -0.919904
>     CIFTI SCALARS melodic_IC.dscalar.nii: 0.935668 -0.20834
>
> What do these two numbers 0.935668 and -0.20834 actually mean? I though there
> should be just one number corresponding to the Zstat of the vertex.

I don't know - when I try this I only get a single number.  Do you have
multiple similarly-named images loaded maybe?
> 3.       It appears that melodic_IC_ftb.dlabel.nii provides a hard
> non-overlapping parcellation and labels each parcel (which could consist of
> several spatially separated regions) by a color. The number of parcels
> corresponds to the ICA dimension, 25 in this case.  How is this parcellation
> obtained? How is the set of spatially continuous/diffusive maps of individual
> ICs give rise to this parcellation with sharp non-overlapping borders and
> without any gaps between the neighboring parcels?

"ftb" - "find the biggest" - at each grayordinate the index number of the ICA
component map having the highest value there is used.

Cheers, Steve.

> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Bagrat
>
> Bagrat Amirikian, Ph.D.
> Department of Neuroscience
> University of Minnesota Medical School
>
> Brain Sciences Center
> Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System

Head of Analysis,  Oxford University FMRIB Centre

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)
st...@fmrib.ox.ac.uk    http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve
<http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve>

Stop the cultural destruction of Tibet <http://smithinks.net/>