The -surface-sphere-project-unproject command is used for concatenating
registrations, and since you want to go from fs_LR to fsaverage, which is a
registration that we compute, concatenating registrations isn't the way to
get there.

However, I don't know if we release the fsaverage registrations per-subject
(to us, they are an intermediate registration).  We appear to have
atlas-to-atlas registrations available in the pipeline repository, under
global/templates/standard_mesh_atlases, the fs_L and fs_R directories
contain the fsaverage spheres registered to fs_LR as I understand it.

Do you specifically need to be in fsaverage, or is just a simple
downsampling okay?  We have lower resolutions of fs_LR, for instance 20k,
and you can also create near-arbitrary resolution spheres if you want more
control over downsampling.  For some analyses, parcellation could be more
appropriate than downsampling.

It should be noted that using the individual subjects fsaverage
registration would discard the registration improvements made by MSM (for
MSMsulc, mainly less distortion).  If an atlas-to-atlas registration is
used, then the registration improvements may be retained (alignment
improvements will be retained, distortion will depend on the method used
for atlas to atlas registration), but of course will give a different
result than actually using freesurfer's registration.

Tim