Hi,

Many thanks for the replies!

@Donna, thanks for the info. This is certainly good to know, but I wonder
how cross-hemisphere registration affects my problem since I'm only using
the left hemisphere...?

@Tim, I actually don't need the individual subjects' registrations as I
just want to register a single group-level map, I just used a spherical
mesh from an individual to run the -metric-resample command since I
couldn't find a group-level fs_LR sphere (I assumed this wouldn't make a
difference, but perhaps I'm wrong?). I specifically need to register to
fsaverage5 since I'd like to compare to an independent dataset in this
space. Using the atlas-to-atlas registrations you referred to from the
pipeline repository, I wonder if it would make sense for me to first
upsample from fs_LR_32k using
fsaverage.L_LR.spherical_std.164k_fs_LR.surf.gii and then downsample to
fsaverage5 from there?

Thanks again!

Estrid

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Timothy Coalson <tsc...@mst.edu> wrote:

> The -surface-sphere-project-unproject command is used for concatenating
> registrations, and since you want to go from fs_LR to fsaverage, which is a
> registration that we compute, concatenating registrations isn't the way to
> get there.
>
> However, I don't know if we release the fsaverage registrations
> per-subject (to us, they are an intermediate registration).  We appear to
> have atlas-to-atlas registrations available in the pipeline repository,
> under global/templates/standard_mesh_atlases, the fs_L and fs_R directories
> contain the fsaverage spheres registered to fs_LR as I understand it.
>
> Do you specifically need to be in fsaverage, or is just a simple
> downsampling okay?  We have lower resolutions of fs_LR, for instance 20k,
> and you can also create near-arbitrary resolution spheres if you want more
> control over downsampling.  For some analyses, parcellation could be more
> appropriate than downsampling.
>
> It should be noted that using the individual subjects fsaverage
> registration would discard the registration improvements made by MSM (for
> MSMsulc, mainly less distortion).  If an atlas-to-atlas registration is
> used, then the registration improvements may be retained (alignment
> improvements will be retained, distortion will depend on the method used
> for atlas to atlas registration), but of course will give a different
> result than actually using freesurfer's registration.
>
> Tim
>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Donna Dierker <do...@brainvis.wustl.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Estrid,
>>
>> Help from others is likely to be needed, but I can help a little.
>>
>> The HCP surfaces get to 32k_fs_LR mesh via the Freesurfer registration
>> (?h.sphere.reg); however, the fs_LR mesh is not the same as the fsaverage
>> mesh, even though it is based on it.  The fsaverage left and right
>> hemispheres are not in registration with one another.  Vertex i in the left
>> hem could be in the occipital lobe, while it could be in the frontal lobe
>> in the right hem.  The fs_LR mesh is in register across hemispheres --
>> vertices in left and right hems are in as close to the same place as
>> registration could get them to be.  This facilitates cross-hem analyses.
>>
>> There is a relevant script here:
>>

>> https://github.com/Washington-University/Pipelines/blob/master/PostFreeSurfer/scripts/FreeSurfer2CaretConvertAndRegisterNonlinear.sh
>>
>> Specifically this line i sthe one to be studied:
>>
>> > #Concatenate FS registration to FS --> FS_LR registration
>> > ${CARET7DIR}/wb_command -surface-sphere-project-unproject
>> "$AtlasSpaceFolder"/"$NativeFolder"/"$Subject"."$Hemisphere".sphere.reg.native.surf.gii
>> "$AtlasSpaceFolder"/fsaverage/"$Subject"."$Hemisphere".sphere."$HighResMesh"k_fs_"$Hemisphere".surf.gii
>> "$AtlasSpaceFolder"/fsaverage/"$Subject"."$Hemisphere".def_sphere."$HighResMesh"k_fs_"$Hemisphere".surf.gii
> [...]

Estrid Jakobsen
PhD Student, IMPRS NeuroCom
Department of Neurophysics
Max Planck Research Group Neuroanatomy and Connectivity
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Leipzig
+49 341 9940-2423