Since the extent that passes significance tests is dependent on number of
subjects and other statistical power considerations, we instead recommend
viewing the effect size (beta) map.  You can overlay outlines of what
passed the significance threshold by making that into a label file with
wb_command -*-math and -*-label-import, then setting the label layer to
draw only the outlines of labels.

However, it is also possible to do it the way you described in workbench.
There is also a thresholding option in the palette settings, so that you
can see an underlay through non-significant regions (T1w and/or sulc as a
reference of the anatomical locations, or maybe the HCP MMP v1.0 or its
borders as a reference of the functional locations).

Tim