What is the expected way to run from the tarballs?

It seems if I just untar them so they are in their separate directories (
hadoop-common-0.23.0-SNAPSHOT/, hadoop-hdfs-0.23.0-SNAPSHOT/,
hadoop-mapreduce-1.0-SNAPSHOT/), setup the ENV vars for HADOOP_COMMON_HOME,
HADOOP_HDFS_HOME, etc.. It won't run like I would expect it to.  Certain
things like hadoop-config.sh are in libexec and it expects them in bin,
things in hdfs bin it looks for in common bin, things are in sbin but it
wants them in bin, it now can't seem to find the hdfs jars, etc..  Hopefully
I'm missing something simple to make this work?

Thanks,
Tom Graves