On Oct 6, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Milind Bhandarkar wrote:

> Vinod,
>
> I have received a few emails about concerns that this effort somehow
> conflicts with federated namenodes. Most of these emails are from folks
> who are directly or remotely associated with Hortonworks.
>
> Three weeks ago, I sent emails about this effort to a few  Hadoop
> committers who are primarily focused on HDFS, whose email address I had.
> While 2 out of those three responded to me, the third person associated
> with Hortonworks, did not.

That 3rd person was me. My lack of response was NOT due to  conflicts with
federation (see my comment below) but simply me not being on top of my email
(which I am infamous for), and being busy with Apache Hadoop 2.x GA stuff.

> Is Hortonworks concerned that this proposal conflicts with their
> development on federated namenode ?

I see 2 comments in this thread on federation - one from Vinod (at Hortonworks)
and the other from Azuryy Yu who I don't know.
Vinod did comment that the block layer has already been separated from
FSNamesystem during the  federation work.
You responded correctly to both Vinod and Azuryy and in those responses kept
the email to a technical level.
However,  suddenly, in this mail you went into overdrive about some conspiracy
on my part  or on the part of the colleagues I work with in the community -
there isn't any.
Milind, you have worked with me and others over several years - when you don't
hear back or hear responses you don't like please give us the benefit of doubt
that we are operating with the best of intent.
BTW, as you well know, I am not the custodian of HDFS, the community is.

I will comment shortly on the technical side of your proposal, separately. BTW
I don't see any conflicts with Federation or any parts of HDFS, and even if
there was,
the community will decide the direction of HDFS.
A Jira would be a good idea.

sanjay

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE