On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Arun C Murthy <a...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Stack,
>
>  Apologies for the late response, I just saw this.
>
> On Jan 29, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
> Slightly related, I just ran into this looking back at my 2.2.0 download:
>
> [stack@c2020 hadoop-2.2.0]$ ./bin/hadoop version
> Hadoop 2.2.0
> Subversion https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common -r 1529768
> Compiled by hortonmu on 2013-10-07T06:28Z
>
> Does the apache binary have to be compiled by 'hortonmu'?   Could it be
> compiled by 'arun', or 'apachemu'?
>
> Thanks,
> St.Ack
>

>  Thank you for tarring all my work here with a brush by insinuating not
> sure what for using my company provided dev machine to work on Hadoop.

What is up Arun?  A basic query gets warped unrecognizably and given a
dirty taint.  This in spite of us 'knowing' each other and having worked
together for years now on this stuff.

While it is true that I changed employers recently, my allegiance when
around these parts has always been to Apache. I've had a few different
employers during my time contributing to Hadoop (This is my 4th). I
challenge you  to find anything in my record that has me rah rah-ing my
current or previous employers.

>  I'll try find a non-company provided dev machine to create future builds,
> it might take some time because I'll have to go purchase another one. Or,
> maybe, another option is to legally change my name.

Lets chat before you go to such a radical extreme.  In another thread, it
is implied that changing the build user would be a simple enough affair --
but I know nothing of your infrastructure.

>  Meanwhile, while we are on this topic, I just did:
>
>  $ git clone git://git.apache.org/hbase.git
>  $ grep -ri cloudera *
>
>  Should I file a jira to fix all refs including the following imports of
> org.cloudera.* (pasted below) … can you please help fix that? There are
> more, but I'll leave it to your discretion. Compared to my username on my
> company provided dev. box, this seems far more egregious. Do you agree?

This is another project including a third-party project.  That seems like a
tenuous connection to me but no problem if you would put it in the same
bucket.  We can file an issue, or probably better as a precursor, get to a
place where we can discuss these concerns in a civil manner and then file
the agreed-upon issues to fix (We need this lib to add tracing to hdfs IMO
-- so if this is in the way of its making it in, lets fix).

>  In future, it might be useful to focus our efforts on moving the project
> forward by contributing/reviewing code/docs etc., rather than on petty
> things like usernames.

This is a common theme, that the issues I raise are 'petty' or 'trifles'
but I have trouble reconciling this assertion with the counter reaction
raised. You react as though I were throwing molotov cocktails.

Thanks,
St.Ack