I think that's a reasonable proposal as long as we understand it changes the burden from finding all the things that should be marked @Private to finding all the things that should be marked @Public. As Tom Graves pointed out in an earlier discussion about @LimitedPrivate, it may be impossible to do a straightforward task and use only interfaces marked @Public. If users can't do basic things without straying from @Public interfaces then tons of code can break if we assume it's always fair game to change anything not marked @Public. The "well you shouldn't have used a non-@Public interface" argument is not very useful in that context.

So as long as we're good about making sure officially supported features have corresponding @Public interfaces to wield them then I agree it will be easier to track those rather than track all the classes that should be @Private. Hopefully if users understand that's how things work they'll help file JIRAs for interfaces that need to be @Public to get their work done.

Jason