Hi Vinod,

Thanks all guys for starting discussion!

My suggestion is adding the date when branch cut is done: like
3.0.0-alpha1-20160724, 2.8.0-20160730 or something.

Pros:-) It's totally ordered. If we have a policy such as backporting
to maintainance branches after the date, users can find that which version
is cutting edge. In the example of above, 2.8.0-20160730 can include bug
fixes which is not included in 3.0.0-alpha1-20160724.

Cons:-( A bit redundant.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi