> Andrew: I bet many would assume it's the release date, like how Ubuntu
releases are numbered.

Good point. Maybe I confuse you because of lack of explanation.

I assume that "branch-cut off timing" mean the timing of freezing branch
like when starting the release vote. It's because that the release can
be delayed after the release pass. Does it make sense to you?

> Even if we have the branch-cut date in the version string, devs still
need to be aware of other branches and backport appropriately.

Yes, you're right. The good point of including date is that we can declare
which version includes the latest changes. It helps users, not devs
basically, to decide which version users will use: e.g. if
2.8.1-20160801 is released after 2.9.0-20160701 and a user uses
2.7.3-20160701, she can update their cluster 2.8.1, which include bug fixes
against 2.7.3. Please let me know if I have some missing points.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi