Thanks Junping for doing this.

+1 (non-binding)

0. Download the src tar.gz file; checked the MD5 checksum
1. Build Hadoop from source successfully
2. Deploy a single node cluster and start the cluster successfully
3. Operate the HDFS from command line: ls, put, distcp, dfsadmin etc
4. Run hadoop mapreduce examples: grep
5. Operate AWS S3 using S3A schema from commandline: ls, cat, distcp
6. Check the HDFS service logs