Hi Lars,

I am able to run pseudo-distributed mode from a dev tree. Here is the wiki:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html#Pseudo-Distributed_Operation
.

Check out my script pseudo_dist
<https://github.com/jzhuge/hadoop-sanity-tests/blob/master/bin/pseudo_dist> to
start/stop a pseudo-distributed cluster.

Here are the steps:

   1. mvn install -DskipTests -DskipShade -Dmaven.javadoc.skip -Pdist -Dtar
   2. pseudo_dist start ~/hadoop-sanity-tests/config/insecure/
   3. test_env hdfs dfs -ls /tmp

Thanks,

--
John