Manoj, thanks for the comments.

I added the consolidated branch patch to HDFS-10467 (CC Brahma).

Regarding the comparison with existing approaches, I'd say that the real
comparison is ViewFs (already in the docs).
This is complementary to the current HDFS federation; you have multiple
namespaces and you need to aggregate them.

Regarding the best practices for the mount table, I think this is pretty
similar to what one would do in ViewFs.
Internally, what we are doing is just to have every subcluster following
the same naming as the federated namespace.
For example, if we mount /data/app1 in subcluster0, we mount it in
/data/app1 in the federated namespace.
Additionally, we are testing a Rebalancer that takes into consideration the
size of the mount table (based on the USENIX ATC paper).

I can extend the documentation in HDFS-12381.