assertj is already on the test classpath for some modules already, though
an older version (3.8.0) from what's current (3.12.0)

No problems seem to have surfaced, so I don't see anything wrong with
picking it up more broadly.

if someone wants to update the assertj version, it's only a test artifact
so no worries about that