Hi Felix,

Taking  jmap –histo:live <pid> would tell you what’s occupying the heap.

Are you using  UseConcMarkSweepGC?
If yes, and if you see bunch of
  java.net.SocksSocketImpl
  sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl
from jmap histo outputs, try passing    -XX:-CMSConcurrentMTEnabled .

Background: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7113118

Koji

On 1/18/12 3:23 PM, "felix gao" <gre1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

we are running Hadoop 0.20.2+228, the namenode process's memory grows overtime
to occupy over 18GB.  However, if I restart the namenode, it only occupies
about 10GB after it is stable.  I am wondering if there is anyway to figure out
what is going on with namenode that causes it to grow very rapidly and if there
are any tools to make the namenode printout some useful information on what is
holding onto that memory.

Thanks,

Felix