On 2017-10-05 11:52:59, Harald Barth wrote:

> By looking at the code of send_diffs (ipropd_master.c:666) it looks to
> me that there somewhere at the beginning of that long function, before
> plowing through the log on the master, there should be something like
>
> if (current_version == 0 || s->version == 0){
>
>    (...)
>
>    return send_complete (...);
> }
>
> to catch these special cases. What else should the master do
> than to send everyting in these cases?I don't see any
> other code which clearly handles when current_version == 0
> is encountered or if the slave reported that it was at version 0
> (tmp == 0 in process_msg) which then sets s->version = 0.

There used to be code early in send_diffs() which called send_complete()
if the slave was at version 0, but it was removed in commit
539ba5fb8751d7c8741c89e99645775f131ba4fe. Checking out heimdal-1-5-branch will
show the following snippet:
===
475     /* if slave is a fresh client, starting over */
476     if (s->version == 0) {
477         krb5_warnx(context, "sending complete log to fresh slave %s",
478                    s->name);
479         return send_complete (context, s, database, current_version);
480     }
===

>From what I can tell iprop has no way to differentiate between "I have no
database, therefore I consider myself at version 0" and "I have a database, in
sync with version 0".

Unless I am missing something this would mean that if something like the code
above was added back, truncating the log to version 0 would make all slaves
fetch the complete database over and over again until a modification bumps the
version at the master.

Regards,
Patrik Lundin