Ah, OK - that works better.

I'd set ticker_interval to 0 as foo.sh would normally be a long-running
process (i was expecting to end up with multiple copies running if i set it
to something else).

My confusion about the retries came from this bit of the doc:

"In the event the program returns a non-zero exit code, ProcessInput will
stop"

Which implied the plugin itself would also stop (and be subjected to the
retries) if my command exited with a non-zero status.

Thanks for the help!
-kieren