I'm using it on Windows (50/50 windows/linux boxes, most customer facing
servers are Windows with management boxes as Linux due to the better ops
tools on that platform) with no issues. It reads from a text log, parses it
with Lua and then ships the resulting packet over the TLS TCP transport to
a central aggregation server for stats tracking/transfer to
Elasticsearch/InfluxDB. The central server also handles stuff like pulling
from CloudWatch and S3 (ELB logs).

Right now Heka doesn't have plugins for some platform-specific stuff such
as Windows Event Logs or Performance Counters but I'm working on a sampler
for perf counters that runs in Heka's ProcessInput (
https://hekad.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config/inputs/index.html#processinput)
and writes the data out to stdout using typeperf.exe. The data can then can
go through the normal parsing pathways and end up as message packets.

An example of the data:

Command: typeperf "\Memory\Available bytes" "\processor(_total)\% processor
time"

Stdout:
"(PDH-CSV 4.0)","\\MYPC\Memory\Available bytes","\\MYPC\processor(_total)\%
processor time"
"01/14/2015 17:05:50.108","1807339520.000000","24.692840"
"01/14/2015 17:05:51.109","1807540224.000000","17.999271"
"01/14/2015 17:05:52.110","1807552512.000000","11.788940"

It's pretty simple lpeg grammar to parse it using the SandboxDecoder, I
just have to find time to sit down and write it.

Event logs are a bit trickier but I think I can figure out something with
the HTTP Input -> XML Decoder and Windows Event Collector forwarding to a
heka process on the local host. We'll see.