On Fri, 19 May 2006, Derek M Jones wrote:

> > > I may think I have caught all the ambiguities/conflicts that can occur.
> >
> > You can be sure by declaring the same %merge on every rule that has the same
> > LHS symbol.
>
> Not very elegant and it would clutter up the .y file.

I accept that it's a lot to write.  Even so, can you achieve your desired
functionality that way?

> > Define the interface of this new function and how it should be declared.
>
> The current definition of yyreportAmbiguity + the necessary changes
> to implement the functionality of a merge.

Can you be more specific?  Would it be declared in the definitions section
or alongside specific rules?  Can you give an example declaration
demonstrating both the yyreportAmbiguity and merge functionality?

> > Originally, we were discussing conflict time, and now we're back to merge
> > time.  What happened?
>
> I'm being non-conflictional and trying to work out a friendly merge'er :-)
>
> I will have a think about the conflict question you asked.

OK.

> I have just spent ages trying to isolate what looks like an
> uninitialized variable that causes the line
> yynewItem->yyisState = yyfalse;
> in yyaddDeferredAction to dereference a null pointer.
> It occurs when lots of reductions (124+) are deferred.
> Now I cannot get it to happen on the full grammar, let alone the
> cut down one :-(
> Suggestions welcome.

There have been some fixes in this area since 2.1.  It might be more
fruitful to wait for 2.2 to worry about tracking this down.

Joel