When Emacs is started from a shortcut that uses runemacs.exe there is
the opportunity to set the working directory using "start in". But if
it's started by the client falling back to ALTERNATE_EDITOR this can't
be used.
My understanding is that occasionally the working directory is exposed
in emacs, such as when starting an eshell.