Yeah, I do product roadmaps and I know why they suck.  I'm thinking
more like:  "If the trade winds blow the right way, here are some
things we think would be neat:"  No commitment, but just to show that
stuff is happening and what the general flavor is.  Even "next week,
if I get lucky, I'll start to think about feature N that I dreamed up
last night after drinking too much Brawndo."

I think promoting ideas via this list is perfectly fine as long as you
think that's a workable approach.  I don't like voting systems either
because most can either be gamed easily or take enough time to build
and manage that they replace a useful feature.

I'd love to see, some day:

Document-based DB support, like Couch
Ferret (still not sure what to do next)