What we were doing before was combining all of the JavaScript (including
jQuery) into one file then compressing it. I agree that it might make more
sense to use the Google libraries for jQuery (though having outside
dependencies, however solid, doesn't sit well with me), but we still have
our own scripts that need to be compressed.
In the meantime I'm just checking the YUI-ified copies into our repository
as a temporary measure, but once I get a chance to look into the Ruby
compression libraries I'll report back to this thread. Thanks for the
tmp/generated tip.

Grant