We do this exact thing in http://appmark.it

heroku_client = Heroku::Client.new(ENV['HEROKU_EMAIL'],
ENV['HEROKU_PASSWORD'])
heroku_client.add_domain(ENV['HEROKU_APP'], new_domain_name)

Also keep in mind that domains can only be scoped to user accounts, so
if they are already using example.com for an existing  heroku app and
they try to add blog.example.com in your app, it won't work.

Marshall
http://mwhuss.com
http://nezumiapp.com