Sounds like an interesting problem.

To recap:
1. You do not see this behavior locally in Firefox or Safari, but only when
deployed to Heroku (and that's why you posted to this group)
2. Its always been this way, and nothing changed recently (new version of
jquery, etc)

Is this something that we can test ourselves on a public URL?

I could take a look at it using some of the low level tools that work in IE
(VRTA, fiddler, httpwatch, etc), as well as google speed tracer, which will
show you a breakdown of the events from dns lookup, request, download,
parse, render.

Is the payload large? Is it possible that it takes forever for it to be
parsed?

Not sure how easy it would be to take a completed response and then mock the
xhr call to see if taking the network out of the equation displays the same
problem (mocking the xhr states might be something that's already covered in
any of the javascript testing frameworks)

I've been evaluating a few of the browser tools, and would welcome a good
use case to test them against, and see which one helps identify the problem,
so go ahead and give us the url so we can try it out and give you a hand
with this.  (I know how frustrating a problem like this can be)

-John

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Donald Ball <donald.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've now tried logging the AJAX with both firebug
> and firebug-lite. Firebug reports the AJAX HTTP response as received
> within tens of milliseconds, while firebug-lite reports it as received
> after 4-5 seconds. This suggests to me that the lag is occurring in
> the browser; maybe the HTTP connection isn't being closed promptly on
> heroku's side of things?
>
> - donald

-John