Have you been able to solve this issue?

I ran into the same problem and support has not been able to help.

After quite some trial and error, I realised the problem only occured
when the response contained a status :created
so only in my create methods.

I could then replace them from:

respond_with(@resource)

if @resource.save
  render :json => @resource.to_json # same as in Responder, simply
short of the :created status
else
  respond_with @extract_list # still reponds errors
end

a bit more verbose, but ok for me. Still I have no idea why
this :created status was making the request
really slow, as if the http was not closing (or something else)