.gems isn't deprecated, in fact it's the preferred way to explain what
gems your app requires. "Gem Bundler is under active development, and
is not recommended for production use yet." says http://docs.heroku.com/bundler

That being said, all the .gems file does is install the specified gems
into your slug. See: http://docs.heroku.com/slug-compiler

In order to use the gems in your application (& in rake or the
console), you might have to "require 'rubygems'" and then require
specific the specific gem lib, i.e. "require 'sequel'" -- then you
should be able to use Sequel in your app.

Bundler is a little fancier and will try to auto-require the gem. You
can also tell it explicitly what file you're looking to require, i.e.
"gem 'rspec', :require => 'spec'"