OK, still not working. Here's my .gems file:

<<
ramaze
sequel
ruby-pg

Here's my rakefile (stripped of everything except this) note the added
require 'rubygems'.

<<
namespace :db do
    require 'rubygems'
    require 'sequel'
    Sequel.extension :migration

    task :migrate do
        m = Sequel::Migrator
        db = Sequel.connect(ENV['DATABASE_URL'] ||
'sqlite://library.sqlite')
        dir = "dbMigration"
        version = ENV['VERSION'] ? "#{ENV['VERSION']}" : ""
        puts "m = #{m} db = #{db} dir = #{dir} version = #{version}"
        m.apply(db, dir)
    end
end

I did a:

<<
# heroku db:reset --app stark-ocean-49
Warning: All data in the 'stark-ocean-49' database will be erased and will
not be recoverable.
Are you sure you wish to continue? (y/n)? y
Database reset for 'stark-ocean-49' (http://stark-ocean-49.heroku.com/)

followed by a:

<<
# heroku rake db:migrate
(in /disk1/home/slugs/265355_5b426d8_a5aa/mnt)
m = Sequel::Migrator db = #<Sequel::Postgres::Database:0x2ab0fb7e7b70> dir =
dbMigration version =

So it looks like something ran (I have a migrator and the database looks
feasible).

When I run though I get ... it working. Interesting because it wasn't
working, but when I went back and refreshed, it looks like it started. Would
there be a delay before the migration happened possibly?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'll write this up and post it on my blog.

Scott