Well you can defo start with checking your logs on the command line.
In terms of blocking traffic though it's something that would have to
be done by Heroku. I know you could write some form of rack app as a
last resort to quickly shutdown connections but it's not going to be
ideal.

I know this won't help right now but going forward have a chat with
the guys from logworm as their app may be able to help you scan the
logs etc next time?

Sorry I can't be of much help but I think its probably something
you're better raising a support request for?
Steve