Just as an aside

Does Varnishing as much content as you can protect you from DDOS?

It would cover your app backend.... but is Varnished content on Heroku
so heavily cached that it is impenitrable?

I assume it must be, since a Reddit attack is as bad as DDOS, and
Vanish is what people recommend for Redditing?

I guess I'm asking this because I'm thinking one option is to make
your site still accessible in a cached format when necessary if your
backend/database overheats ... some sort of graceful fail