That was a good call, you definitely don't want to store variables in
config vars. Save if for constants (passwords, urls, etc).

It seems like you might be getting an error due to different versions
of RestClient, not sure though. What version are you using? What's the
stack trace for the exception?

On a side note, if it helps you can call heroku workers passing
relative values, like +3, -1, etc.