resolved:

as part of my user model (built from scrach) I explicitly called
"require 'Digest'" in order to do a one-way hash on user passwords,
I'm guessing that was the issue.

I discovered that as I fixed my ruby/rails local dev environment, then
made a NEW rails app, manually re-generated the models and
controllers, and cut-pasted code in segments, deploying periodically
to heroku to check that it would work...it now does. Thanks for the
help & guidance!