My math must be way off given what you're describing, but . . .

5,000,000 requests/hour = 1388/second.

Let us say that by "several hundred," you mean: 500.

So each server is doing only 2.8 request/second.

I guess.

If the request servicing time is 100ms, you should be able to get one
dyno to handle 40 requests/second.

1388/40 = 34 dynos.

Were you using nginx on an EC2 instance, you'd have, say, 4+ Rails
handlers/passenger (similar to 4 dynos), so maybe you could do all
that with, oh, 10 small instances?

John

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Neil Middleton <neil.middle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not us, someone else.
>
> From what I gather, at 7am they were doing ~5m hits per hour.
>
> On Feb 3, 2011 8:26 PM, "John Norman" <j...@7fff.com> wrote:
>> You had 1666+ requests/second, and had to bring in "several hundred"
>> more EC2 instances?
>>
>> Those numbers seem off.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Neil Middleton <neil.middle...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> This week in the UK we had the launch of police.uk, an Django based site
>>> hosted on EC2.  Pretty much straight away it went down through load.
>>>  From
>>> talking to the developers, it transpires that they were seeing 100,000+
>>> requests per minute, and had to draft in several hundred more EC2
>>> instances
>>> to cope.
>>> Which leads me to a tasty hypothetical question.  If for instance I
>>> wanted
>>> to launch a site like that on Heroku, are there any limits to where you
>>> can
>>> scale too and how long it might take?  I know from experience that I can
>>> get
>>> 50 dynos within a couple of seconds, but surely there must be a point