That sounds awfully plausible.  Deleting/recreating the heroku app
doesn't help, I'd already tried that at least a dozen times before I
resorted to posting.  But still, the idea of a bundle cache sounds
quite likely.  Unfortunately I so far haven't been able to find where
that would exist.  I've seen a few scant references to removing things
from .bundle but I find no such directory.  I tried pulling down a
fresh clone from my archive repo and that didn't behave any
differently.  I guess the next step on that path is to try cloning to
a fresh dev box and deploying from there.  Or maybe nuking the ruby
installation?

I'm also trying to pursue the cedar option but that seems to be a
difficult road from windows.  Getting thin to work is elusive so far
(tried devkit, then tried preload of alternate version of
eventmachine--still no luck)  It looked like maybe thin was not
actually *required* so I tried to go without.  Was able to push to
cedar then--but unlike bamboo cedar doesn't seem to list all the gems
it's finding, so I can't tell if I got anywhere there.  Db push is
failing for some reason despite the fact that I dropped pg in a
production block.

Anyway, thank you for responding and giving me ideas on what to try
next!  I've put off this post hoping I'd be able to say something
about "and what eventually worked was..." but I guess that's not
happening today.

Erich