Finally got to the bottom of this.   The main culprit behind recent
oddities was a long forgotten .gem file that I didn't delete back when
I updated to rails 3 and bundler.  It didn't have any effects on
update pushes and it wasn't in my netbeans project--hence the
forgotten part.  But creating new heroku apps all its gems are brought
in--kind of weird versions in some cases--and that rack 1.3.0 vs 1.2.3
incompatibility now stops the show.   Just in case anyone else manages
a similar slip-up I figured this confession might save them some
time.  Killing .gems solves everything since of course it had nothing
to do with the rails 3 project anyway.

Weird that it even bothers to look at at .gem file if it sees a rails
3 app with a gemfile.

On the cedar front, I don't have thin up yet, but the other problems
were all down to me not realizing that you have to explicitly map any
non-master push to heroku's master branch.