found out what it was.

first, you can't use the "wkhtmltopdf-binary" gem. you have to
manually copy an amd64 compiled version from
http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/ to your /bin dir. (if you use
pdfkit you have to configure the new path)

second, on the Cedar stack the tmpdir /app/tmp doesn't exists by
default, so you have to create it before any calls to wkhtmltopdf:
Dir.mkdir ENV['TMPDIR'] unless Dir.exists? ENV['TMPDIR']