That only half solves it by forcing downtime you'd be taking anyway because
your app is likely to crash if started before the migrations run, as you are
forced to do. Having to take downtime just to add a field is pretty lame.

We're looking at running our migrations from an EC2 server since we use RDS.
Heroku-hosted postgres could make that more tricky.