Greetings,

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 12:47 -0700, kenwinston caine wrote:
> As "Critical Path" reference noted, another reason this cools air is
> the "Bernouli" effect of speeding the air -- as a fan does, and as
> Percival alluded to in his mention of ancient stone window cover
> designs (which I'd like to know more about!) here, in this thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/hexayurt/browse_frm/thread/3108984409d21ac5?hl=en#
>
> Percival, if you see this, can you tell me what those stone window
> covers were called so I can research them a bit?

I can't recall what they were called off the top of my head (mostly
because it was in arabic, but from what I recall, they were from 10th
and 11th century buildings and mosques, but the museum I got my research
from was the one, unfortunately sacked in the recent ... unpleasantness
in the area, and while their collection is intact, I don't think I could
get back in, right now, to do further research.  Americans are not
popular out that way right now for some reason ...

But, from memory, there were foot-thick stone walls, with carved wooden
and (for the more opulent) stone screens, similar to the ones pictured
in http://home.jtan.com/~cellio/house/sources/mosque-screen.jpg

Basically what I remember is that the air, moving across the screens
would be pulled through narrower and narrower spaces, therefore having
to move faster, and shed energy, so becomes cooler.  I don't remember if
the Hamilton-Jacobi equation lead me there, or my research into
Bernoulli did, but since both were well after the carving of the
screens, I had to do sideways research from their descriptions.

But I can definitively state that, in my yurt (ger, actually) this
summer, opening the ceiling hole, and pulling up the side-walls gave a
very nice convection breeze.  I was enjoying it too much to measure it's
directionality, I'll do so the next opportunity I get.

Percival