Hi!

AlNoel, I'm glad to see somebody trying the extrusions/clips approach. We
kicked it around in 2008 or 2009 but instead chose to develop the tape
option, largely because of the manufacturing difficulties of getting
extrusions made without a substantial market lined up. I'm glad you've
figured out an affordable way to do this!

Couple of things we found worth pondering:
1) Tiny variations in materials thickness can make a big difference to clip
grip strength

2) water handling - the top edge of the clip can get water under it, which
will flow up-and-under to the side of the panel or even inside the unit,
again largely depending on grip strength

I hope you'll post lots of pictures of the clips: if it works, it would be
a viable option to get them manufactured at the angles needed for the
six-sided geometries, which would be great for everybody!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Vinay

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Al Noel Sansolis <the118ta...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
> With all the preparations for burning man, I do not have time to build a
> sexy hexayurt.  I do have time to assemble a rectangular yurt with tapeless
> joints.
> I have engineered reusable joints that slip fit over the edges of 1"x4'x8'
> sheets; I call them yurtclipz.  They will be made from recycled plastic or
> aluminum.  Depending on your imagination, the layout options are endless.
> The configurations are based on 4'x8' modules all with 8' ceilings.
> I'm fabricating a set for me and my friends and was wondering if anyone
> one else might be interested.  The more sets ordered, the more economical
> it is but we're aiming for $190/set for the 160 sq.ft configuration, 19
> sheets required.  If you're interested, I will deliver the set to you on
> the playa because they won't be done until the 21st.  I'm in the LA area
> but I don't mind delivering it to you on the playa assuming 1000 sets
> aren't ordered!
>
> I'm sure you have questions but I wanted to keep this short and find out
> if it's even worth mentioning.  I have digital 3D models, drawings, 3D
> printed models, and quotes.
> Please let me know what you think!
>
> Thanks for your time,
> AlNoel S.
>
> --

Vinay Gupta
Free Science and Engineering in the Global Public Interest

http://bit.ly/gupta_arc <http://bit.ly/gupta_arc%20>- the Gupta State
Failure Management Archive
http://bit.ly/gupta_ark - or see it directly on Archive.org

http://hexayurt.com - free/open next generation human sheltering
http://hexayurt.com/plan - the whole systems, big picture vision

"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an
invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Twitter/Skype/Gizmo/Gtalk/AIM: hexayurt
UK Cell : +44 (0) 7500 895568 / USA VOIP (+1) 775-743-1851