Also, there is the problem that Steve and I saw with the
org.hibernate.test.legacy.PerformanceTest.  It does not have a finally
block for closing resources in case of error, and some databases will
hang when the hibernate test case attempts to drop a table which has
transactions still open against it.  Perhaps this is the problem with
jtds and Sybase?

At any rate, the timeout would help diagnose this without having to
reproduce manually.