>> You're right.  We should never have "expected failure" type tests in a
> test suite so that we
>> can get back to things we know we want to fix.  That is so crazy; what
>> are
> we thinking hereā€¦

> How
> can developer know if the codebase in svn is not broken? - only by
> comparing
> list of failures with list of expected failures. And you guys have to
> make
> this comparison every time you evaluate someone's patch...

It is not optimal, but it is quite easy to see if a method not called
failureExpected is failing.

We know it is not optimal, but it is better than removing those tests.

> to particular log in issue management tool... It just doesn't work in CI
> based environment. I see no reason of creating only testcase (w/o fix)
> since
> you have the information about the bug in jira. You defer the bugfix to
> vague future... when something changes regarding the bug on jira you
> have to
> update testcase... Bug should be covered with test, then fixed, then
> checked
> into svn... Does having failing testcases of known bugs is a reason to be
> proud?

Having the tests only in jira make them being deferred even longer.

> You may have process of estimation/analysis of a jira log with the
> output of
> failing testcase. If it's working for you - that's great. But in my
> opinion
> developer should have a clear understanding of stable code base which is
> green color on junit progress bar. And the development should be red ->
> green -> refactor not red -> red -> refactor.

Again, we prefer to have the failureExpected then none at all.

>> And do you rather want us to remove tests for known issues ?
>
> I'd prefer refactor to separate source folder, perhaps not taking part in
> main build and in future not checking into svn without an actual bugfix
> :)

If you looked at the tests you would see why they are not in seperate
classes/folders
would add very redundant testcode that is even worse to maintain.

Again, as Scott so correctly pointed out; it is a limitation of the
unittest framework
we are trying to cope with.

/max

Max Rydahl Andersen