The initial issue is fixed,
But now I do have some weird type conversion using HSQLDB (didn't tried
the other ones).

basically I do have
public Dimension() {
  private int length;
  private int width;
}

ints are converted into INTEGER types at the DB level, fine

The following native SQL query, mapped using scalar autodiscovery
select length * width as surface, length * width * 10 as volume ...

returns String for the first argument and Double for the second
The same query used to return BigInteger for the first one and
BigDecimal for the second.