Hi  all,  for those of you who also work with cytology - what is= your
   procedure  for  fluids  that  have  a large volume?  How much of the
fluid do you process?

   I  am  wanting to compare our polic= y against some others.  We had an
   instance  this  week  where  we received= 1000 mL of pleural fluid and
   processed  100  mL  of that after making sure it= was mixed well.  The
   first  cell blocks only contained fibrin, but the= surepath slides had
   malignant  cells.   When we went back to the contai= ner the fluid had
   settled  after  24  hours so we poured off the top part of t= he fluid
   and  only  processed  the gunk at the bottom.  The second time t= here
   were  malignant  cells in the cell block.  My pathologist is pushin= g
   for us to process 100% of the fluids, 100% of the time, saying what we
   cu=  rrently  do isn't enough. This would result in a big mess when we
   get those = 3000 mL fluids.  Any ideas or suggestions out there?

   = Thanks!