i  have had this argument with the researchers at the University f= or
   30  years,  somewhere back in the day they were told that commercially
   mad= e formalin had methanol in it (it does but just a little and does
   not  hurt  = anything in my experience) and that methanol would damage
   their  tissue  for = IHC, so they think they must use paraformaldehyde
   and make it fresh themsel= ves.  Since new people make it all the time
   it  often  does  not get= made up correctly and their stress over this
   issue  is  miss  placed as they = should be using something commercial
   for  consistancy  and  paying  more  attent=  ion to adequate time for
   fixation in reg formalin.

   Another  anoying  myth  that  is difficult to combat with them is that
   "we=  should  limit the fixation time in aldehyde fixatives because it
   will  cross=  link the proteins masking them for IHC", there fore i am
   always  getting ti= ssue that has not been fixed long enough (at least
   24  hrs.  to  protect  it  fr=  om paraffin processing, because if the
   proteins  are  not  cross  linked  they  c= an be alcohol fixed and/or
   washed  away  forever),  the people in research kno= w about the cross
   linking  fo aldehydes but do not know that cross linking o= f proteins
   is  a  good  thing  and  they also do not know that we have advanced
methods HIER or EIER for unmasking the proteins, but we have no way of
   gett=  ing a protein back that has been lost in processing because the
   sample was = not adequately fixed.

   there i will get off my Friday soap box..................

   Happy Holidays to all!

   Patsy