Paula-
It's a hard problem to diagnose with out knowing what platform you are using,
but here is what I have learned from our experience-

- We had the same trouble on our Ventana Benchmark and after much hair pulling
and troubleshooting, found it to be the slides we were using. The only slides
that Ventana recommends for use on their stainer are the Erie superfrost. This
fixed the problem for us. We have since found that the Bond360 slides from
TruScientific work equally as well.

- We also found that we had similar problems on Dako's Autostainer. This time
it was due to the instrument not being completely level.  We also learned that
when transferring the slides to buffer after the retrieval process, you need to
be quick or they can dry out, causing artifact or patchy staining effect. This
too was easily solved by using a tween buffer or by using different racks to
transfer the slides.

I hope this is of help to you, I know how frustrating troubleshooting staining
issues can be!

Jennifer Bull
jennifer.b...@nwpathology.com