Ooi,

Somehow you are getting moisture/water mixed in with the MMA solution(s). I only remember visiting the IMCB facility, so if this is not your facility then I am not sure of your laboratory environment (air temperature/humidity). The best thing I can tell you at this point is to try and find ways to reduce the chance for moisture accumulation.

I am pretty sure that at a minimum you are storing your catalyst and monomer (MMA) at 4C and your softner (DBP) at room temp. Maybe you should take extra steps to ensure your chemicals are at room temp before any use. Lastly, your polymerization is taking too long for your small 20mL vials. My specimens of similar size require only 3-5 days to completely polymerize. Now, I dont remember your concentration of catalyst, but if it is around 2.5g/1L embedding solution, try skipping the 4C step and use room temp (<23C) until the specimens are polymerized. Then finish them off in the oven when they are tacky or mostly hard on top. The 4C step is mostly to slow the polymerization for larger specimens requiring a larger volume of solution and/or when the lab temp cannot be controlled routinely at or below 23C. The water bath then also helps to regulate the temperature of the polymerization in the case where the lab environment is too cool (<20C) and retarding the rate of polymerzation.

The main thing to keep in mind is that the lab environment pretty much controls the process and is probably the main variable that will contrast labs that perform the exact same method.

Jack