Hi Geoff, just curious...could you not just plunge the rod directly into the liquid N to cool it?

Regards,
Merced

--On Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:32 AM -0400 Geoff McAuliffe <mcaul...@umdnj.edu> wrote:

1. Cool the isopentane with liquid N. Put a metal rod (aluminum, brass,
copper) in the chilled isopentane. Wait for the rod to cool.
2. Put the tissue+OCT on a metal object disk, microtome chuck or even a
small metal plate.
3. Put the metal supporting the tissue on the chilled metal rod, the
tissue will freeze rapidly without cracking or touching the isopentane.
Voila!
Put the tissue in the cryostat at the appropriate temperature for
sectioning and have some coffee while the tissue "warms up" to cutting
temperature.

Geoff

Jean-Martin Lapointe wrote:
Hi all,

for a study we are freezing myocardium sections in OCT immersed directly
in liquid nitrogen, without isopentane, because apparently isopentane
quenches the fluorescence of the cells we need to detect in the tissue.
Unfortunately the blocks tend to crack after freezing. Does anyone have
a suggestion to avoid cracking ?

thanks

__________________________________

Jean-Martin Lapointe

AccelLAB Inc

jm.lapoi...@accellab.com <mailto:jm.lapoi...@accellab.com>

Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.
Neuroscience and Cell Biology
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854
voice: (732)-235-4583 mcaul...@umdnj.edu

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
lei...@buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.