I recently had an enquiry from one of our post docs who was looking at TUNEL
staining and came across this reference in biochemica no 4 (1997)titled
“Fixation of Tissue Sections for
TUNEL Combined with Staining for
Thymic Epithelial Cell Marker”
You should be able to google it and find the article.
Basically it said that after fixation with PFA to improve staining you need to
treat with triton and sodium citrate in the cold to expose the antigen again.
Below is the suggested protocol for thin cryostat sections. I’m sure it could
be modified for thick sections.

1. Cut 4 μm thin cryosections and mount on
polylysine-coated glass slides.
2. Air dry overnight at room temperature and
freeze foil- wrapped slides at –20°C until use.
3. Apply frozen glass slides directly into a container
with 1% buffered paraformaldehyde for
30 min at RT.
4. Rinse swiftly in PBS and immerse in a solution
of 1% Triton X100 (v/v) and 1% sodium
citrate (w/v) for 2 min at 4°C.
5. Wash in PBS and incubate with 50 μl TUNEL
reaction mixture (TdT solution with dUTP-FITC
solution, 1+9). Convert to enzyme label if
desired.
6. Wash with PBS and block with dilution of
adequate normal serum.
10. Proceed with desired immunohistochemical
labeling.

Regards
Steve Weston
Senior technical officer