Marcia Fisher at El Centro Regional Medical Center (at the
southeastern tip of California) asks:

>>We would like to find another type of decal solution for our bone marrow core
>>biopsies. The current solution, which is also used on routine bone specimens,
>>is leaching out the iron deposits. What are others using for BM and times
>>used? We currently use 45 minutes to one hour after fixation. These are adult
>>BM cores only.<<

Any practical decalcifier is going to remove some hemosiderin iron.
You need to do the iron stain (Perls prussian blue reaction) on a
smear AND on the clot section or marrow particle section.

"Decal" is the name of a proprietary decalcifier. It should not be
used as a generic term for a decalcifying solution.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN