Hi Terri,

At one time we did the same thing but have changed our approach in light of the
FDA's and CAP's view point on ASRs.  The potential problem is that IHCs are all
validated/tested by the manufacturer on FFPE tissue.  By introducing
methanol/ethanol as the first step in fixation, you potentially have altered
the initial fixation steps.  I've attended several meetings on this topic and
have been advised to stop performing IHC on methanol/ethanol fixed specimens
unless we validated that this fixation step doesn't alter the expression of the
target antigen in the tissue.  Formalin fixation after an alcohol fixation
doesn't change/reverse any alterations to the antigen in the tissue.

We utilize an IBF tissue fixative but have also validated this fixative with
our antibody panels that we offer.  The IBF does contain a small amount of
alcohol and the fixative is slightly different than 10% buffered formalin.

I agree that CytoLyt is excellent at lysing red blood cells but would just
caution you on using the specimen for IHC without a disclaimer within your
report or validating your IHCs on these specimens to ensure they work as
expected.  Keep in mind that most control tissue is FFPE and using it to
compare if the IHC worked in a first fixed alcohol specimen is not an apples to
apples comparison.

Cheers,

Joe W. Walker, Jr. MS, SCT(ASCP)
Anatomical Pathology Manager