Thursday, January 6, 2000

Victim: I was naked, bleeding

By K. Saithuruka

KUALA LUMPUR: A 27-year-old manager found herself naked and bleeding profusely from her private parts when she regained consciousness in a hotel room after a dinner with her Japanese business partner and colleagues last year, the Sessions Court heard yesterday.

She said she had gone to the pub without her husband and drank beer, white and red wine, before passing out.

She told the court she had organised a dinner for about 16 people at the Equatorial Hotel here on Nov 18 last year which ended at 10.30pm.

She said she later joined her partner, Hiroshi Iwabuchi, and a contractor by the name of Roslan for more drinks at the The Pub at the Shangri-La Hotel.

"At the pub, I left the place to go to the toilet once and returned to continue drinking. After a while, I could not remember anything," she said, adding that she woke up at 4am in one of the rooms in Shangri-La.

She was testifying against Japanese engineer and project manager, Iwabuchi, 42, who is charged with raping, sodomising and using criminal force to outrage her modesty between 1am and 4am on Nov 19 in room at the hotel.

The woman, who chose not to testify in camera, said she could not remember who paid for the drinks or how she got to the room but said that she and Iwabuchi were both naked when she woke up.

"I was on the bed and he was calm and seated on a sofa, smoking. I could not find my clothes," she said, adding that she then found herself bleeding.

"I washed up, wiped myself and asked for my clothes and Iwabuchi gave them to me. I got dressed and used a sanitary pad to stop the bleeding. I also asked Iwabuchi what he did to me but he did not answer," she said.

She said she then left the room and but she could not drive her car so she parked it at Menara Promet.

"I called my husband at 4.30am and he came to pick me up at 5am. I lied to him that I had my period when he saw me bleeding. I also lied saying that I got drunk and had slept in a pub," she said, adding that she slept in the car on the way home.

She said she went to bed upon reaching home and saw a doctor the following morning.

Shei said she knew something was wrong but had no intention of going to the police as she did not want her husband to find out because he was short-tempered.

"However, the doctor in Jalan Ipoh refused to examine her when she told him that she had been raped.

"Upon his recommendation, I saw one Dr Fong, a gynaecologist at the Tawakal Hospital. He examined me and referred me to one Dr Tham for counselling," she said, adding that she was admitted for seven days and was operated on for four hours to rectify the condition in her private parts.

She said Dr Fong informed her later that she had a very serious tear in her private parts and if she had delayed in seeking treatment, it could have been fatal.

The victim said she informed her husband of what had happened after being advised by doctors.

"My husband made a police report on my behalf," she said.

Cross-examined by counsel Rafie Mohd Shafie, she said she was not forced to drink and had known Iwabuchi since early November.

She admitted that she had lied to her husband saying that she was admitted for bleeding as a result of her intra-uterine device (IUD) being removed.

Hearing continues today.

Kirim email ke